Image

Image

11.3.11

Corrupted Vision

I have a confession to share: I don't particularly fancy watching the telly (oh, yeah, that's British slang). Part of the reason is because of my hectic and my demanding schedule. Part of it is because I recently purchased the first two seasons of Gilmore Girls, so that's occupying most of my leisure. But, the reason why I greatly detest to turn on the TV is because the TV, quite frankly, sucks. I was born in the '90s, so I remember vividly of the TV series that I idolized as a child, watching it avidly and religiously. Nowadays? The entertainment media is saturated in crude humour, overt sexual jokes that domineers the role of a women in a man's life, lowering her value and morale, criticizing faith and speaking disrespectfully regarding, what should be, respectable beings, and corrupting the minds of young children through subtle and innocent-appearing cartoons. And the tween series, excuse my French, is filled with lacklustre actresses who possess no amount of acting chops whatsoever and Hollywood milks the popularity of these  girls (and boys)  because they know that in maximum 2-5 years, that star of that tween heartthrob will not be a household name, but an unknown. When I was growing up, the shows I used to watch (and still do, thanks to Youtube) were not filled with corruptive ideas, images of disrespect and loveless families, and they were certainly not filled with God-bashing phrases. I am often filled with nostalgia because I do wish that the shows I greatly admired blossoming into the young woman I am today were still on re-runs. But no; instead, my mind is filled with Miley Cyrus's nasally voice on Hannah Montana, the audacity to present the practise of Wicca innocently and approvingly on Wizards of Waverly Place, and casual sex and blaspheme cusses on Gossip Girl or 90210. (I want to make it clear that I do not, in fact, watch Gossip Girl; I only look at cast and official photos to emulate Blair's envious preppy-Eurovintage style.) So, if you're like me, and you want to reminisce on your youth by watching your old-time favourite shows, I've conducted a thorough list of what I watched when I was learning how to ride a bike until I entered the horror-inducing world of pubescence. Some I wouldn't necessarily watch now, but it's still nice to revisit memory lane.

1. Sailor Moon
2. The Powerpuff Girls
3. Dexter's Laboratory
4. Rugrats
5. Smart Guy
6. Proud Family
7. Hey Arnold
8. The Weekenders
9. That's So Raven
10. Good Troop
11. DuckTales
12. House of Mouse
13. Arthur 
14. The Magic School Bus
15. Liberty's Kids
16. Boy Meets World
17. All That
18. Sabrina: The Animated Series
19. Two of a Kind
20. Lizzie McGuire


That is about the only ones I can come up with from the top of my head. I actually conducted a looong list back home and it's somewhere in my room...Anyhow, I hope you enjoy this list I made (I know it's not exactly my best work), and I assure you, the moment I arrive to that list, I will post it. The point I want to come across is that Disney and Nickelodeon Channel sucks in these days. They really do; I know that sounds pessimistic and somewhat cynical of me, but those aforementioned channels were so much more better in the '90s and early '2000s. It really was. It was a joy to watch TV (and not have to cover my ears or eyes from obscene matter). Now, I nearly want to upchuck my lunch when I see Disney or Nickelodeon make a phenomenal star out of someone who doesn't have a shred of talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment